Sunday, August 23, 2009

North Country Jelly

Crabapple Jelly is part of my childhood. My parents have a big tree in their back yard and my sister and I spent a lot of time throwing, eating, and all around enjoying the apples every year.
Here is an over-view of making jelly (detailed directions are in the pectin box)

Jelly is hard work I'm not going to lie but it is really fun too.
First go to town chopping up a bevy of crabapples. (plan a couple of hours to make this happen)

Measure it out and boil it down (Crabapples you need 5lbs of apples and 5 cups of water. Bring to a boil, cover and simmer.

Strain the fruit pulp through cheesecloth or a strainer. For this jelly you need 7 cups of juice (easier said then done, it's a lot of squishing).
Boil it up and add pectin, boil it again and add sugar (this one needs 9 cups). Boil it some more (1 min).
Laddle the mix into jars, cap and band. Drop into a boiling water bath that will cover the jars for 5 minutes.
Let it set and you've got jelly!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

my grandmothers have both had crabapple trees in their yard my whole life and I've NEVER had crabapple jelly! Can you believe it?! One of my grandmothers used to make us pick the crabapples up in her yard and throw them in the creek! We coulda been making money off of jelly!